Sunday 31 October 2010

Beside the seaside, beside the sea...


As you no doubt all know by now, I love the sea ... so, on that theme, I thought I'd share these poems - they're not by me! - I might have posted them before - sorry if I have! 
Hope you enjoy them x
~~~~
 

Sea Fever

John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.


 

The Sea
JAMES REEVES

The sea is a hungry dog.
Giant and grey.
He rolls on the beach all day.
With his clashing teeth and shaggy jaws

Hour upon hour he gnaws
The rumbling, tumbling stones,
And ‘Bones, bones, bones, bones!’
The giant sea-dog moans,
Licking his greasy paws.

And when the night wind roars
And the moon rocks in the stormy cloud,
He bounds to his feet and snuffs and sniffs,
Shaking his wet sides over the cliffs,
And howls and hollos long and loud.

But on quiet days in May and June,
When even the grasses on the dune
Play no more their reedy tune,
With his head between his paws
He lies on the sandy shores,
                                   
So quiet, so quiet, he scarcely snores.



2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. In particular the top one.
    I have often tried to capture a rainbow over the sea - not always very successfully

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you David - glad you like them!

    - I'd love to be able to take a photo of the rainbows that appear on the white tops of the waves, when the sun is in just the right position - so far I haven't had any success - maybe that elusiveness adds to the delight of seeing those rainbows...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.