Wednesday 5 January 2011

You Can Call Me Al...


The pictures in this post are from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

 I've probably posted this poem before in my previous blog, but it seemed to be calling out to be posted again (excuse the pun!):


The Call

I have heard it all my life,

A voice calling a name I recognized as my own.

Sometimes it comes as a soft-bellied whisper.

Sometimes it holds an edge of urgency.

But always it says: Wake up my love. You are walking asleep.

There's no safety in that!

Remember what you are and let this knowing

take you home to the Beloved with every breath.




Hold tenderly who you are and let a deeper knowing

colour the shape of your humanness.

There is nowhere to go. What you are looking for is right here.

Open the fist clenched in wanting and see what you already hold in your hand.

There is no waiting for something to happen,

no point in the future to get to.

All you have ever longed for is here in this moment, right now.




You are wearing yourself out with all this searching.

Come home and rest.

How much longer can you live like this?

Your hungry spirit is gaunt, your heart stumbles. All this trying.

Give it up!

Let yourself be one of the God-mad,

faithful only to the Beauty you are.

Let the Lover pull you to your feet and hold you close,

dancing even when fear urges you to sit this one out.

Remember- there is one word you are here to say with your whole being.

When it finds you, give your life to it. Don't be tight-lipped and stingy.

Spend yourself completely on the saying.

Be one word in this great love poem we are writing together.


© Oriah Mountain Dreamer, from the book The Call, Harper Collins, 2003

illustrations by Josephine Wall: http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/




Now, more than ever, seems to be a time of listening to our own inner voices, of being authentic and true to ourselves, and to spread ripples of love throughout the world... self-love, as well as love for each other; love for life, and for the wonderful world in which we live...

What do you think?
Have you heard the call?
Have you answered it?
...


8 comments:

  1. What a great poem, with a deep message that certainly speaks to me. Lovely paintings too. Did you see the ones by Izumi Omori here: http://earthgazer.blogspot.com/2011/01/beautiful-art-of-izumi-omori.html - they're so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin - I thought you'd like it! Yes, Izumi Omori's paintings are beautiful aren't they! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we find it difficult to admit that we love ourselves.

    But it is necessary to do that

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree...
    It's strange - when I bring up that theme with clients, their first reaction is often along the lines of 'but that would seem arrogant!'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. David - spot on. There are days that I won't look at myself in the mirror - I know I need to learn to love myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw, that brought tears to my eyes - you are such a lovely person - it's sad to think of you feeling like this...
    With self-love comes self-acceptance and a real feeling of inner-peace - I look forward to the day you start to experience this xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ali,

    Regarding self-love and arrogance - some thoughts -

    1. I spent a long time debating with myself the difference between arrogance and confidence.
    The thing which gave me clarity was a definition of Humility which read "accaptance of things as they really are"
    Thus it was not arrogance but confidence which allowed me to say (and Mean) "I was a good nurse." In fact if I didn't acknowledge that I was denying clients my talents.
    I hope that makes sense.

    2. If people confuse self-love with arrogance they are mis-interpreting what self-love is!
    Scoot Peck defines love as "caring for the other person's spiritual growth"
    Thus self-love is caring for our own spiritual growth.
    In other words it is caring about ourselves enough to do the hard work.
    As you yourself have demonstrated during last year.

    I hope this all makes sense

    Love

    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts David - yes, it all makes perfect sense...
    And yes - spiritual growth is such an integral, but often overlooked, part of the process of self-love...

    Thank you especially for this bit:
    ...'In other words it is caring about ourselves enough to do the hard work.
    As you yourself have demonstrated during last year'...

    love Ali

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.