Sunday 2 January 2011

and so the journey continues - or is it just beginning?




"It may be when we no longer know what to do,
we have come to our real work,
and that when we no longer know which way to go,
we have begun our real journey.”

– Wendell Berry
 
I've just started reading a book called 'Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness' by Jon Kyabat-Zinn. It has a rather daunting 600+ pages, but this is going to be a year in which I do a lot more reading, so I'm determined to get through it.
 
 
 
I was amused when I  picked it up, as the turned-over corner of page 3 shows just how far I got on my last attempt to read it!
'Well, I'll get further than page 3 this time', I chortled to myself.
But, alas, I only got as far as the first paragraph, when I simply had to put the book down and share the quote (above).
It really resounded with me. 
Just how far on am I in this (my) journey?
Has it even begun?
I certainly hope so!
Indeed, I certainly think so!
 
Anyway, I've been completely distracted now, and have looked up more quotes by Wendel Berry. Before I return to my book, I'll share this little pearl of wisdom with you:
 

 The past is our definition. We may strive, with good reason, to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it.”


Wendell Berry


 ^ someone who  has certainly added something better to my life - and journey!


4 comments:

  1. Some pretty good quotes in that book, hope you enjoy it all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you! No doubt more blogs will follow, as I wade my way through the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures and the quotes. Not so sure about the book!!

    The phrase which came to mind when reading the blog was "Trust the Process" - It has always worked for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks David - yes, that's one of my favourite phrases too...
    'trust' is a small word, but it means so much, doesn't it...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.