Monday 10 January 2011

With or without...




Without You...

Last year
The clock slowly ticked away
Every minute, every hour; every day.
And now, suddenly, a new year begins.
The first year
Without you.
You died last year;
In the last decade.
It feels so final now, somehow.
You are in the past...
And now I sit here, in the present,
Watching a fine drizzle
Washing away memories...
Making then fade a little further
Out of reach.
Like the tide wiping the slate clean
On the beach.
But you still return to haunt me
In dreams.
We never could completely let go;
Clinging onto the security blanket
That was once our love...
A love that became a binding rope
That took away all hope
Of release.
 But now you've set us free.
And with a deepening sense of inner peace,
I start to adapt to a future without you,
And I know that love will see me through;
Love
will see
me
through...

a strange thing just happened as I wrote this - my phone rang, but there was no-one there, but then a recorded voice just said 'goodbye', then the line went dead...



6 comments:

  1. God, you gave me goosebumps! Really nice poem...so sad...and the goodbye phonecall...so mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you so much, Jorgelina - yes, it's very sad, but it was quite healing, writing about it - yes the phone call was very strange!...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and very moving poem Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a moving, genle poem.
    I was close to tears, thank you.

    Christinex

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw, thank you Christine - yes, some days are easier than others I think... I can't bear to even read this today, yet when I wrote it, it felt quite therapeutic...
    Thank you for reading and for your comments - much appreciated x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.