Friday 4 March 2011

In Another World ...

 Hello again! -  this is another rushed blog, as I have to go out soon, and have, as usual, been distracted by too many things so far this morning... 

This is a blog about Asperger's Syndrome - I had intended to write something more informative, but this will have to do for now.

Apologies to those who have already read  / seen some of this via facebook and/or twitter, but this is an issue that is close to my heart, and awareness needs to be raised. 

I found out yesterday that one of my friends on facebook with Asperger's Syndrome sadly ended his life last month. I hope he is at peace now.
This highlights once again that there is a desperate need for more understanding, awareness and acceptance of Asperger's Syndrome, and the isolation and turmoil that comes and goes throughout the years ...  
Not everyone is affected by AS in the same way - for example, it is thought that people with AS don't feel empathy, but this is not the case for all people with AS - some people are able to feel empathy to such an extent that it feels like they are feeling the suffering of the whole world in one go... 
It isn't all bad. People with AS may be gifted, quirky, creative, loyal, trustworthy, sensitive and caring individuals who have so much to offer the world... xx ...
Below, there is a little article from the Guardian newspaper, and then there is a video explaining more about AS and its impact. Thanks to Maire for the link to the video.
If you do a google search, you will be able to find more info. I'll hopefully write more another time. xx 

What I'm really thinking: The person with Asperger's syndrome

Lo Cole Jan 15
 
Illustration: Lo Cole for the Guardian
'I'm 50 and was diagnosed last year. Before then, I had no idea why social interaction was so hard. I thought everybody else had the same difficulties, but had overcome them. What strength of will they must have, I thought – look how easily they make eye contact; I must have a bad attitude, I simply can't be trying hard enough.
Decades ago, I learned to pretend I was coping by developing a passive, quiet exterior. I would still, when I plucked up the courage, expend enormous mental effort trying and failing to make conversation, while attempting to micro-manage disastrously inappropriate body language: standing too close, awkward gestures and a mask-like expression.
Now, I feel more lonely than ever. Diagnosis has brought increased self-knowledge, but it doesn't make things easier. Even now, I generally cannot think of a single thing to say; except, that is, for the painfully idiosyncratic responses that jam my brain.
How can they interact with each other so unselfconsciously, inhabit their lives so fully, be so comfortable in their own skin? I have tried and tried, but I cannot comprehend what life must be like for them.
I like people, I long to have friends and, most of all, to be in a relationship. The bottom line is, human beings were not meant to have to live like this. Social interaction is a basic human need.'
Link to the article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/15/really-thinking-aspergers-person

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.